Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Great Apps for Elementary Students

1)  Edmodo- this is facebook for the kiddos.  Teachers can post homework.  Go green.  No more lost homework.  Parents can access it to find out classroom news.  It's gaining popularity fast at our school.  Grades can be posted quickly and efficiently.  Less paperwork.  I like that students can share information with one another, especially what they liked or didn't like about a book.

2)  Stack the states- 99 cents.  Geography should not be forgotten.  With all the Common Core demands, let's not forget the importance of memorizing facts like the location of the states.  This app will provide a fun way for students to build geography skills.

3)  Dictionary.com- Free!  I like to be able to quickly look up a word if I'm researching and I know students find this much handier than using a traditional dictionary.  If they can't spell well, like google, the program will give some suggestions to lead students to the right word.

4)  Dragon Dictation - Students can easily record their thoughts and send it via text or email.  The app is free!  I like it because I can record my thoughts driving (don't tell anyone, shhh!) and then it will save the message.  Then I can email it to myself or someone else.  Think about how nice this is for students.  Students who struggle with writing can just go talk about their subject near an iphone or itouch and this app will convert it to text.  Then the student could work with someone to check accuracy and add details.  Not so overwhelming now!

No comments:

Post a Comment