Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Week 2

Week 2 - Hot topic debate

Software games in school have advantages and disadvantages in my opinion.  I think some should be allowed because of how motivating they can be and the instant feedback students receive.  There are great software games such as ones on factmonster.com.   Quest Atlantis is one I've heard about and what like to try.
However, I think the concern is how long and in what context are they being used.  I think we need to be real concerned about how much screen time students are receiving daily.  Research states that kids that are not to receive more than one to two hours a day.  If a child watches cartoons before school for 30 minutes, plays a game on an ipad at school, plays a video game right after school, and then watches a movie before bed - yikes!  See how it could easily go more than 2 hours for a day.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the screen time. When students go home, they are either on the computer/I-pad, watching TV, or playing video games and the minutes can quickly add up. I would most definetly not want to add to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teachers that do not have children might not think about the screen time at home that adds to the day. As a mother, I see a need to control this part of my son' life or it could quickly be too much. He needs to play outside, create, read, explore legos, and more.

      Delete